School Policies and Attendance
1. Please drop off and pick up students on NE 5th Avenue. If your child walks to school, please remind him or her that they are to cross the street at the intersection of NE 5th Avenue and 66th Street where a school crossing guard is located. If you would like to escort your child or if you have school business, please feel free to park in the Church Parking Lot on the corner of 67th Street and NE 5th Avenue.
2. Students may be dropped off in the morning starting at 7:45 a.m. and either report to the cafeteria for breakfast or the P.E. court (grades K-5), where they will be supervised until they are picked up by the homeroom teacher. If your child rides a private bus, inform the bus driver that they are NOT to drop off students prior to 7:45 a.m.
3. If visiting the school during school hours, you will be asked to sign in at the front desk and directed to the main office to obtain a visitor's or volunteer's pass. School personnel will not allow anyone on campus without a pass.
4. Teachers will be available for conferences with a scheduled appointment. Please do not visit classrooms unannounced or without an appointment.
5. Students will not be allowed to leave the school 30 minutes prior to their dismissal time.
Please review the following information with your child:
- Students will come to school prepared with supplies and a positive attitude towards learning.
- School uniform and District dress code policies will be adhered to on a daily basis.
- All students will learn the importance of punctual and regular school attendance.
- Please ensure that provisions are made to have students picked-up on time.
One of the most important things your child can do to achieve academic success is also one of the most basic: coming to school every day and being ON TIME. In fact, research has shown that your child's attendance record may be the biggest factor influencing her academic success. In effort to stress the importance of daily school attendance, we are sending this letter as a reminder of School Board Rule 6Gx13-5A-1.041 which requires compulsory daily attendance for students 5-16 years of age.
Morningside K-8 Academy is committed to ensuring academic excellence for our students. Maximizing our children's achievement must begin with daily school attendance and we feel this is everyone's responsibility to ensure that success. Daily school attendance must start at home with the importance and value of education being stressed.
If your child is absent, Miami Dade County Public Schools allows EXCUSED absences for the following five reasons:
1) Student illness , 2) Medical appointment, 3) Death in the family, 4) Observance of a religious holiday acknowledged by a majority of the faith, 5) Events or activities that are approved and sponsored by the school
The parent/guardian of the student must send a note and/or phone the school to clear any of the above listed excused absences. Failure to excuse the absence will result in a recorded truancy on the student's permanent record. Be advised that any excused or unexcused absences over ten days are considered excessive.
Absences that are NOT EXCUSED:
Visiting Relatives, Student's Birthday, Oversleeping, Car Trouble, Child care by student at home, Vacations, Family moving from one home to another
Additionally, as reminder, school starting times for students are as follows:
Pre-K, K and 1st 8:20 a.m. 2nd-7th grade students 8:35 a.m.
Please review this attendance information with your child and take the necessary measures to correct any attendance problems. Please visit www.dadeschools.net to view District's Attendance Policy. We appreciate your assistance in making school attendance a priority.